Reuse | Redevelop | Redefine
Hamilton Properties Corporation is a design oriented developer specializing in converting obsolete vacant buildings into hip urban destinations.
Focusing on multi-family and hotel developments, father-son real estate development team Larry and Ted Hamilton have successfully given new life to many historic buildings in the Dallas CBD. As former Dallas Mayor Laura Miller put it, “Larry and Ted Hamilton have single-handedly made it possible for us to use the words ‘downtown’ and ‘hip’ in the same sentence.”
- Location: 1033 Young Street, Downtown Dallas
- Website: www.aloftdallasdowntown.com
The Aloft Hotel Downtown Dallas was originally part of the Santa Fe Terminal Complex constructed between 1923 and 1925 reported to be the then largest construction project in the country. Hamilton teamed up with the property owner, Sava Group, to recycle the historic warehouse into a 193 room Aloft Hotel with 15,000 SF of meeting space and 320 parking stalls that opened in 2009 at a cost of $41 million. This was the first of Starwood’s Alofts in a historic building conversion and it changed the brand’s emphasis when Starwood management realized that the DNA of its new hip and edgy Dallas franchise was a better fit for the brand than new construction. Several older buildings have since been converted to Aloft Hotels around the U.S.
- Location: 1309 Main Street, Downtown Dallas
The 20-story Davis Building was Hamilton’s first venture in Dallas. Having seen the success of downtown Denver’s transformation, the Hamiltons were pleasantly surprised to find the availability of historic trophy buildings, albeit unoccupied and vacant, that had the potential for repurposing. The theory was that a national movement back to city centers had not yet reached Dallas, but was inevitable. At the time, downtown was a forlorn district with a mere 400 residents and little after-hours activity. But the elegant 1926 classic revival Davis Building, designed by Charles D. Hill and the original headquarters for Republic National Bank, was ready for a new lease on life. An adjoining 12-story parking garage was separately acquired. The combined properties were converted into a $41 million mixed-use complex of 183 loft apartments with 607 parking stalls and 50,000 SF of retail. The building was linked to the Dallas tunnel system, which Hamilton deemphasized by causing its management offices and other service uses to be located at the lower level while bringing the retail uses up to embrace and energize the street. This was a turning point for downtown’s revitalization and started Main Street’s ground level ascendance and the retail tunnel’s slow demise.
Dallas Power & Light
- Location: 222 Browder Street, Downtown Dallas
- Website: www.dplflats.com
Dallas’ original electric utility, Dallas Power & Light, owed its beginning to Thomas Edison’s Electrical Bond & Share Company that financed independent utilities throughout America. Its Dallas headquarters was completed in 1931, the year of Edison’s death, and was celebrated as a triumph of art deco design, authored by the prominent local firm of Lang & Witchell. As of 2002, Dallas Power & Light’s successor, TXU Corp., still partially occupied the buildings on a full city block but had moved to a newer headquarters. TXU began looking for a developer to purchase the buildings and re-develop them in the late 1990s. Over several years many suitors failed in the attempt to procure the project. In 2003 TXU selected Hamilton to take on the task, a $35 million mixed use complex of 158 loft apartments, 21,000 SF of retail, and a 5-story new build structured parking deck, which all opened in 2005. It attracted the first national retailer, Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, to return downtown after a twenty-year retail exodus, helping to usher in a new era for downtown Dallas as a 24/7 live, work, and play community. TXU would subsequently convey its other vacant downtown block, the Fidelity Union Life Insurance Complex, to Hamilton that was redeveloped as Mosaic.
Lone Star Gas Lofts
- Location: 301 S Harwood, Downtown Dallas
- Website: www.LSGLofts.com
Built over a fifty-five-year period beginning in 1924, Lone Star Gas Lofts was a four building complex on a full city block with two of the buildings being art deco masterpieces designed by Lang & Witchell, one of Dallas’ great architects of the first half of the 20th century. The City of Dallas requested and received a deed to the property in 2005 when Atmos Energy relocated out of the CBD and the City in turn conveyed it to one of America’s largest developers, Forest City Enterprises, on the condition that the block be converted and renovated in a short period of time without further City subsidy. Unable to make the numbers work for its own portfolio, Forest City conveyed the property to Hamilton and it was thereafter completed at a cost of $46 million as a mixed use project with 230 loft apartments, 13,000 SF of retail, and 277 structured parking stalls.
Lorenzo Ascend Hotel
- Location: Opening 2017
- Website: www.lorenzohotel.com
The Lorenzo Ascend Hotel is a 237 room 12-story development located in the Cedars neighborhood on the southern edge of downtown Dallas. The $38 million project converts a 1972 property that had been vacant for more than five years into a boutique affiliate of Choice Hotels International’s Ascend Hotel Collection. The project will include restaurant and meeting space on the top floor with panoramic views of the downtown skyline, a resort-style pool area, and a shipping container corner retail village. Street scape improvements will enhance the South Akard Street pedestrian connection and assist in the linkage of the Cedars area to downtown and the convention center.
- Location: 300 N. Akard Street, Downtown Dallas
Mosaic was a full city block project consisting of a vacant 21-story building, 33-story building, and 8-story parking structure totaling over 1.1 million SF originally built in 1952 and 1960 for Fidelity Union Life Insurance Company’s headquarters. This property posed a design challenge for Hamilton as no other Mid-Century Modern buildings with their large floor plates had been converted to loft residential, at least in the Dallas area. The project, completed in December 2007 at a cost of $107 million, consists of 440 loft units, 19,000 SF of retail, and 660 structured parking stalls. Its zero edge pool with dive-in theatre movie screens set the standard for such amenities. The previous owner, TXU, had a relationship with Hamilton that started with Dallas Power & Light and led in turn to Mosaic, one of downtown Dallas’ first TODs (Transportation Oriented Developments) that happily exploited the adjacent light rail line just across the street from DART headquarters.
Denver Real Estate Holdings
- Location: Denver Colorado
- Property: Green Gables
- Property: Canal Place
- Property: Thornton City Center
Denver Real Estate Holdings description coming soon…